Call for solo bagpipes
GAUDEAMUS offers young composers a unique opportunity to create music for Breton piper (Scottish bagpipes) Erwan Keravec.
Gaudeamus and Erwan Keravec ask young composers to develop a new work for solo bagpipe (with or without electronics – but fixed media, not live electronics) of around 7-10 minutes. The end result can be a fully notated score, but other processes (like an open score, workshopping material, etc.) are possible. Composers with a background outside of traditionally composed / classical music are very much encouraged to participate.
Erwan Keravec is a Breton piper (Scottish bagpipes), whose eclectic path ranges from traditional to contemporary music and improvisation. This encompasses playing solo pieces written for him by such contemporary composers as: Heiner Goebbels, Wolfgang Mitterer, Oscar Bianchi, Oscar Strasnoy, Philippe Leroux, José-Manuel Lopez Lopez…; leading a piper quartet, SONNEURS, playing pieces written by Wolfgang Mitterer, Susumu Yoshida, Samuel Sighicelli, Pierre-Yves Macé; free improvisation with Mats Gustafsson, Beñat Achiary, Audrey Chen, Julien Desprez, Jean-Luc Cappozzo, etc.; and writing and playing music for modern dance companies (Boris Charmatz, Emmanuelle Huynh, Gaëlle Bourges, Mickaël Phelippeau…).
Deadline for this call is 1st of May 2022. The first 40 proposals will be viewed. Composers younger than 35 by September 2022 can participate.
How can I participate?
Send in your motivation letter (max. 1 paper) answering the following questions:
- Why would you want to work with Erwan Keravec?
- Why are you curious about the bagpipes?
- What would you like to develop for the instrument? (short concept)
Please also send in a maximum 2 recent compositions (mp3) or a link to a webpage (f.i. Soundcloud, Bandcamp). A score is not required.
- 1 May 2022 Deadline
- 1 June 2022 Erwan Keravec and Gaudeamus will select 4 composers to create a piece with a duration of 7-10 minutes, to be performed during Gaudeamus Festival 2023.
- 7-11 September 2022 During the upcoming Gaudeamus Festival Erwan Keravec is in Utrecht for a first workshop with the 4 chosen composers. He will also perform with his quartet Sonneurs on Saturday 10 September 2022.
- October 2022-May 2023 Developing the compositions
- 1 June 2023 Last version of the pieces ready.
- Early September 2023 Rehearsals and concert during Gaudeamus Festival 2023.