Screen Dive 2nd Edition: Call for Interactive Web-Based Works
We are excited to announce the 2nd edition of Screen Dive! After our successful launch at Gaudeamus 2020, featuring 20 interactive works by international composers, we are thrilled to tell you that Screen Dive, with support from Stimuleringsfonds continues and you are invited once again to submit your wildest screen-based creations.
This is a public call for both existing and new works that will be featured on Screen Dive’s online gallery/playground space, curated by Luke Deane and Maya Felixbrodt, and showcased live at the festival, alongside a new series of performances and workshops (Gaudeamus 2021 – 8 to 12 September in Utrecht & online).
The focus for this call is on works/scores/ideas that are interactive in nature. Works that are not interactive in some way will not be considered (e.g. static video, live performances or pre-recorded performances) unless there is an obvious intention to “interactive-ize” them for this project. Once published, the works must be available to visit/play with online 24/7. The word “interactive” is used broadly here – interaction can be lo-fi, from text instructions to conceptual forms of interaction, all the way up to the most technical, java applets, 3d spaces, etc.
Screen Dive is all about pushing the limits of interactivity, at the intersection of play-spaces and sound. We are passionate about building space for a new community where game designers, musicians, composers and artists can play together. We look forward to the inspiring new encounters that this trajectory will bring!
DEADLINE & QUESTIONS
The deadline for submissions was July 13th 2021.
For questions, send an email to callforscores [at] gaudeamus [dot] nl.
CONDITIONS FOR PROJECT PROPOSALS
- The work could not be shown on typical platforms (youtube, soundcloud, bandcamp, vimeo, facebook etc.)
- The work should consider audience interaction as its primary goal
- Sound-focussed works are preferred. Visual components are very welcome, but sound, music and listening are the focus points.
- The work can be proposed in a variety of formats, and the Screen Dive technical/artistic team will strive to embed your idea into the Screen Dive website.
- We are prepared to accept a small number of ideas which are not technically implemented. We may be able to implement your idea with you, so if necessary, you can just focus on the idea, the intention of the work, and we can discuss.
- Fixed fee of €1,000 is offered for each work, as compensation for both artistic and technical aspects of the project.
- For this round only 5 works will be accepted.
- We want to minimize long loading times to make screen dive as accessible as possible, so we suggest that you aim for a maximum static/”on-load” file size of 100mb. (this does not apply to streamed content or to periodically loaded components)
- Works should be developed and completed by August 31st. This is a very fast turnaround, please think carefully about your availability for this project.
REQUIREMENTS (WHAT SHOULD YOU SUBMIT)
- Max. 1 A4 with a clear description of your idea (in writing, video, image etc.)
- For existing works: the proposed work, in any accessible format
- For new works: a simulation of the work if possible
- Links to max. 3 previous relevant works