During the national festival the Day of the Composer, an initiative of New Music NOW, more than 100 active composers in the Netherlands are in the spotlight. A train with musicians travels through the Netherlands for a day and plays music by the local city composer in various cities. The train ends in Utrecht, where music by the boundless and always curious composer Jonás Bisquert can be heard at the station square.
In his piece Musicas@Utrecht, Bisquert brings together various musical scenes that are at home in Utrecht. And just as it goes in real life, they cross paths, listen to each other and learn from each other, but there is also chaos and cacophony when they butt heads, or when they try to come together but it ends in failure. Five ensembles that each play in a different corner of the station square, plus a sixth group of musicians emerging from the New Music NOW Express.
- Koor Duniya led by Loes van Hapert, with Tetiana Savushkina
- Netherlands String Quartet Academy presents Damsco Quartet
- Musicaz@Utrecht led by Rian Evers, with Mohamad Alsamna
- Catching Cultures Orchestra led by Olupemi Oludare
- Koen Boeijinga's Gamelan orchestra