Gaudeamus Saturday Night presents a jam-packed programme in and around TivoliVredenburg’s concert halls. An evening devoted to the newest music in all its guises, from wrenching, edgy minimal music to experimental electronics.
Ulysses Ensemble + IEMA Ensemble Saturday Night begins in the Large Hall with the sizeable Ulysses Ensemble + IEMA Ensemble (more than thirty instrumentalists), a collaboration between different European organizations, and the International Ensemble Modern Academy. The result is a splendid cross section of contemporary music, with work by Anders Hillborg, among others.
Kara-Lis Coverdale Canadian Kara-Lis Coverdale is, according to media such as The Guardian, “one of the most exciting North American composers”. Using chest organ and electronics, she puts together a dynamic live set which creates new standards in the world of unlimited electronic music.
CARMEN & Matthew Schoen CARMEN is the alias of composer/producer Carmen Vanderveken. She uses synthesizers and acoustic instruments to produce intimate, eccentric, but danceable sonic sculptures, which are supported live by Matthew Schoen’s playful and colourful visuals.
Silbersee performs Stockhausen’s Stimmung Silbersee presents an evening ritual in the form of Stockhausen’s Stimmung, a fascinating, minimalistic composition in which, in an acoustic palette constructed layer by layer, the listener gradually discovers the ‘souls’ of the voices.
Gareth Davis and Frances-Marie Uitti Armed with only a bass clarinet and cello, Gareth Davis and Frances-Marie Uitti produce a terrifying and enervating sound. Daydreams become nightmares. Whispering sounds are throttled.
BarmyFiveseveN performs the music of The Cardiacs The music of Cardiacs frontman Tim Smith is full of energy, humour, beauty and Britishness. Due to a stroke he can no longer perform in person. His unique mix of punk and progrock, packed with inventive orchestration, is performed by BarmyFiveseveN, a small big band formed by musicians from the Conservatorium van Amsterdam.
Luke Deane – She Flies By Night, a film and performance in which musical notes escape from the paper into a 3D world. The story of two friends Ezra and David, who experience a romantic moment until Ezra’s fear of intimacy drives them apart. Lost in darkness, they must process their personal feelings separately. Will they find their way back to each other?
Plastiklova Plastiklova is the Amsterdam duo of Laurent Warnier (vibraphone) and composer/producer Yu Oda (electronics). Vibraphone and danceable electronics embark on a daring and successful marriage with an infectious and warm danceable sound.
OKAPI presents Paper Ensemble The Paper Ensemble is unique in the world. With nothing but paper, especially made for the duo, Jochem van Tol and Mei-Yi Lee create an entire universe of their own. The paper is played with sticks, brushes, mallets, and all kinds of attributes and elements borrowed from nature.
Monoták – The Golden Years Monoták is a collective of ten composers which since 2012 has organized various concerts and events. The composers and musicians have different musical backgrounds, from jazz to electronic improvisation and from pop to contemporary classical. This evening Monoták totally takes over The Pit and presents a continuous and surprising programme.
Waanzee (Rosa Ensemble) Waanzee is the rock outfit of the Rosa Ensemble from Utrecht. A band with a unique double line-up: 2 elektric guitars, 2 bass guitars, 2 drum sets and 1 flamboyant singer. Filthily grooving and bone-dry rock songs with bizarre hooks and brilliant musical invention.
Ensemble Vonk: Songs for VONK In Songs for VONK, a crossover between contemporary classical and avant-garde pop, composer and artistic director of VONK Nicolien Soeter, invites composers and songwriters to join together to compile a new programme around the theme of evolution. With songs composed by Molly Joyce (USA), Brechtje (NL) and Nicoline Soeter (NL).
re- (Thanasis Deligiannis + I/O) Greek composer and music theatre producer Thanasis Deligiannis is artist-in-residence with Gaudeamus. At the beginning of last year, under the auspices of SPR!TZL (the development platform for the artists of Silbersee), he was able to work on his production re-, a solo performance in which he receives the audience in his extraordinary nightclub.
orkest de ereprijs Each year orkest de ereprijs organizes the Young Composers Meeting. Young composers write ultra-short pieces for this idiosyncratic collective associated primarily with wind players. The three winners from the last YCM (from Indonesia, Poland and Estonia) feature in this programme, alongside new work from Ivan Vukosavljević plus some more surprises.
Stranded FM The online radio station Stranded FM, based in Utrecht, hosts Club Nine. It is known for its left-field programming and is averse to and steers clear of the mainstream. The choice of performing artists reflects this mindset. The programming will be announced at a later date via the website.
OKAPI presents Practical Music A new impro trio consisting of pianist Oscar-Jan Hoogland, guitarist Jasper Stadhouders and drummer Christian Lillinger. Stadhouders’ and Lillinger’s expressive and highly physical playing contrasts with that of Hoogland, who with his machines, sirens, record players, electric clavichord and a gambling machine determines the tempo, like an engineer in a control room.
Sarah Davachi is a composer of electronic and electroacoustic music. Davachi’s compositional projects are primarily concerned with disclosing the antiquated instruments and forgotten sonics of a bygone era in analog synthesis, with concurrent treatment of acoustic sources. Her work considers the experience of enveloped sonic dwelling, utilizing extended durations and simple harmonic structures that emphasize variations in overtone complexity and psychoacoustic artefacts.
Stranded FM The online radio station Stranded FM, based in Utrecht, hosts Club Nine. It is known for its left-field programming and is averse to and steers clear of the mainstream. The choice of performing artists reflects this mindset:
- Cengiz Arslanpay plays different kinds of wind instruments from the Anatolian areas. He combines thesounds of these acoustic instruments with electronic instruments. His music is a mix of classical Turkish sounds with a fresh, contemporary electronic sonic journey. Music that takes you to different sonic worlds and traditions.
- Coby Sey (with Ben Vince and Chris Calderwood) made an amazing impression at last years Le Guess Who? festival. A long time collaborator of Mica Levi and Tirzah, Coby now forges his own path as producer. Sey’s atmospheric sound spans the realms of live instrumentation, sample-based productions, and classical and experimental music. Similar to Actress and Dean Blunt, Sey’s work reflects the steamy and sheltered eroticism of London’s nightlife. On stage, Sey will be joined by saxophone players Ben Vince and Chris Calderwood.
- Carla dal Forno is an Australian singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist who makes smoky and ominous atmospheric songs. While her approach finds kindred spirits in the realms of ambient music, her compositions exude a dark, lo-fi electronic aesthetic that draws from vintage post-punk, ‘80s synth pop, psychedelic folk and elements of pulsating dub. The result, in the words of her label, calls to mind Eno’s ‘Another Green World’ reimagined in shades of brown and blue with an approving nod from Nico
- Eva Geist is a sound designer, live performer and producer based in Berlin, Andrea studied Performative Arts and New Media in Rome. In 2016 she accomplished an advanced training in sound design in Berlin. Under the Eva Geist moniker she paints vast synthesized landscapes of imaginary worlds, where we can trace the elegance of minimal/synth music, fourth world exotica, new age vastness or hazy motorik patterns. As she puts it in her interview for the Scottish newspaper The National: “I wanted my Eva Geist stuff to have beats you can dance to, but soft, abstract ones. It’s inspired by cosmic music, mantra music, New Age music and by film soundtracks.”
- Cengiz Arslanpay
- BarmyFiveseveN performs the music of The Cardiacs
- CARMEN & Matthew SchoenUlysses Ensemble
- Kara-Lis Coverdale
- Carla dal Forno
- Sarah Davachi
- Gareth Davis & Frances-Marie Uitti
- Luke Deane - She Flies By Night
- re- (1st Draft) - Thanasis Deligiannis + I/O
- orkest de ereprijs
- Eva Geist
- Monoták - The Golden Years
- OKAPI presents Paper Ensemble
- OKAPI presents Practical Music
- Coby Sey (with Ben Vince and Chris Calderwood)
- Silbersee performs Stockhausen's Stimmung
- Stranded FM
- Ulysses Ensemble + IEMA Ensemble
- Ensemble Vonk: Songs for VONK
- Waanzee (Rosa Ensemble)